Want a fuller, more youthful look? Call Winchester Smiles today at 540-888-8902 to learn more.
When we’re born, our bodies are full of collagen and other nutrients that help build our skin and tissues. Once we’re adults, our bodies stop producing new collagen, and our skin and tissues begin to age. Sagging, wrinkles, lack of firmness – these are all signs of aging skin.
There are ways to reverse these signs of aging, improving our youthful look and even stimulating collagen production again. One of the most effective ways is dermal fillers.
Want to know more? Read on to learn about dermal fillers. And call us at Winchester Smiles of Winchester, VA, to talk with our experienced cosmetic technicians and schedule a consultation.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are soft, gel-like implants injected under the skin to plump and smooth the skin, reducing wrinkles and sagging. They are made of either natural or synthetic materials. They are also known as soft tissue fillers, wrinkle fillers, or injectable implants.
How Do Dermal Fillers Work?
As we age, the underlying layer of fat that keeps our skin plump and firm begins to diminish. Our facial muscles, now closer to the surface of the skin, quite literally leave their mark upon our skin in the form of lines and wrinkles. Then, as the subcutaneous fat layer grows smaller, gravity pulls the muscles and skin down, causing sagging, jowls, and loss of the face’s youthful shape.
Dermal fillers work by plumping up the skin again, filling in the gaps where the fat layer used to be, and smoothing out the face.
Types of Dermal Fillers
There are four types of dermal fillers. What you and your doctor choose for your specific cosmetic needs depends on where you want the fillers injected and how long you want the effect to last.
- Hyaluronic acid, which is naturally produced by the body, is quickly metabolized. Results will last up to a year.
- Calcium hydroxylapatite is a mineral naturally found in our bones. Its metabolic rate is slightly higher, and the results will last around 18 months.
- Poly-L-lactic acid is a biodegradable synthetic material used to make dissolvable stitches used in surgical procedures. It will last as long as two years.
- Polymethylmethacrylate beads are a permanent treatment, as they cannot be absorbed by the body. They are only used around the mouth.
How May Dermal Fillers Improve My Face?
Dermal fillers can be used in many areas of the face to restore the skin’s firmness and fill in wrinkles and lines. You can use dermal fillers to:
- Fill in lines in the forehead and between the eyebrows
- Plump the lips
- Plump the cheeks
- Reshape the nose or chin
- Fill in lines around the mouth, including nasolabial folds and marionette lines
Dermal fillers may also be used to reduce the appearance of scars on the face, evening out the surrounding texture. They can also be used to rejuvenate your hands, giving them a more youthful appearance.
If you have questions about whether dermal fillers might be the right choice for you, call Winchester Smiles at 540-888-8902 or check our website to find more information and schedule a consultation.