Your teeth serve many functions. They allow you to bite and chew, as well as aid in proper speech. In addition to these functions, your teeth are also an integral component of your smile. Any damage to your teeth, even only minor flaws, can significantly impact the quality of your smile, and your confidence. At Shenandoah Family Dentistry, we can restore the appearance of your teeth with dental bonding.
WHAT IS DENTAL BONDING?
While minor imperfections may not impact your oral health, they can significantly affect the quality of your smile. When your smile is less than perfect, it can cause you to become self-conscious. You may hide your smile behind your hands or even refuse to smile at all. Dental bonding is a cosmetic treatment for correcting minor flaws in your teeth. It uses composite resin, a tooth-colored material that is made up of a mixture of plastic, fine glass, and other materials. The material is quite versatile and can be shaped or molded to meet a variety of different needs.
WHAT EXACTLY CAN DENTAL BONDING FIX?
Because dental bonding is so versatile, it can be used to correct several different issues:
• Minor chips or cracks in your tooth enamel.
• Small gaps between your teeth.
• Teeth that are smaller than the others.
• Teeth that are oddly shaped.
• Discolored teeth that have not responded to whitening.
RESTORING THE APPEARANCE OF YOUR TEETH
Dental bonding is a simple, pain-free procedure that can usually be completed in less than half an hour. We begin by cleaning your teeth. Next, we apply an acid etch to the treatment areas. The acid is used to create a rough texture on the enamel, which aids in providing a stronger bond between the composite resin and your teeth. The acid is washed off, and your teeth are dried. We then apply the bonding material and shape it as needed. Once we have achieved the desired results, a special light is used to cure, or dry, the bonding. Finally, the bonding is polished to a smooth finish, enabling it to blend in perfectly with the rest of your surrounding tooth structure. When you leave the office, you leave with a perfectly restored, beautiful smile.
DENTAL BONDING BENEFITS
There are numerous benefits associated with dental bonding, including:
• Composite resin is tooth colored, so it blends in seamlessly with the natural tooth structure.
• The procedure is quick, often taking half an hour or less.
• It is a painless procedure that does not even require a local anesthetic.
• The procedure does not require the same tooth preparation that other restorations like veneers and crowns require. We do not need to remove any of the enamel or otherwise alter the structure of your teeth.
• Bonding is a very affordable procedure.
DOES DENTAL BONDING REQUIRE SPECIAL CARE?
While bonding provides beautiful results, it can be damaged. It is important not to bite or chew on anything exceptionally hard, like popcorn kernels or your fingernails. Composite resin also stains easily, so it is important to limit foods and beverages that can cause staining as well as avoiding tobacco products. Other than these considerations, bonding can be taken care of just like the rest of your natural teeth. With proper care, bonding can last upwards of 10 years or more.