Did you knock out your tooth? Or do you have a severe toothache? If you are facing any of these issues, you need to get immediate dental care. It is best to visit the emergency dentist in Winchester to ensure a quick restoration and recovery.
5 Types of Common Dental Emergencies
- Your Tooth Fell Out!
Knocked-out teeth are a common dental emergency and require immediate attention to save your tooth. But before getting immediate care, make sure you take the following steps to ensure a successful restoration.
- Locate the knocked-out tooth.
- Hold the tooth by the crown, don’t touch the roots.
- Wash it gently under warm water and avoid soap or tissues to clean or dry the tooth.
- Try to place the tooth back into the socket, facing the right direction.
- If it’s not possible to place the tooth back, store the broken piece in your cheek or in milk; also, never use water to soak the tooth.
- Make sure to get the best emergency dentistry in Winchester, VA, for the best chance of saving your tooth.
- You Have A Toothache!
Toothaches are usually a sign of a deeper issue, especially if your pain lasts for more than 1-2 days. There are different causes for throbbing tooth pain, such as decay, abscessed tooth, tooth fracture, damaged fillings, infected gums, etc. Therefore it is necessary to get professional emergency dentistry in Winchester to find out the underlying cause of the pain and resolve the issue. During such situations, refrain from using home remedies, painkillers, or aspirin for the pain; instead, opt for a saltwater rinse. This will provide you with relief by soothing the inflammation.
- Your Braces Are Loose!
Very often when we consume sticky, chewy, or hard foods, these foods can cause loose braces. If your braces, wires, hands, and brackets get loose, it can hinder your progress and lengthen the duration of your orthodontic treatment. Not to mention the pain and discomfort caused by loose orthodontics. If your wires or braces are loose or cause you discomfort, the following are a few tips to provide temporary relief.
- Use a cotton swab to move the wire into a comfortable position.
- Use sterile tweezers to move the brackets along the wire.
- Apply orthodontic wax or sugarless gum to avoid irritation.
- Avoid attaching any elastics to the broken part of your braces.
- Make sure you visit the orthodontist immediately to avoid lengthening the duration of your orthodontic treatment.
- You Have A Fractured Tooth
Did you break your teeth while eating something hard or chewing on ice? Or did you chip your teeth because of clenching your teeth? Whatever the reason may be, you need to get professional emergency dentistry in Winchester to save the tooth and prevent infections.
- If you are in such a situation, immediately swish your mouth with warm water.
- Use gauze or a clean towel on the affected area.
- If there’s swelling or pain, apply a cold compress.
- Locate the broken piece of tooth.
- Gently wash it and store it in milk.
- Visit the emergency dentist.
- Lost Your Filling Or Crown?
If you have loose dental restorations, such as a loose filling or a crown, it can leave your already weak tooth vulnerable to bacteria. Therefore, it is necessary to get immediate emergency dental care.
- Make sure you store the crown and bring it when you visit the dentist.
- To avoid infections and eliminate bacteria, swish saltwater solution in your mouth.
- Brush gently around the affected area.
- You can opt for temporary fillings; however, make sure you visit the dentist to treat the exposed tooth.
- Don’t apply pressure or chew from the affected area until you receive your emergency treatment.
Get Immediate Relief With Emergency Dentistry
If you are facing any dental emergency, make sure you get the best dentist in Winchester, VA, to restore your teeth. Delaying or ignoring the problem can cause permanent damage and cost you a lot more down the line.