Brushing and flossing every day are essential components for maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile. The American Dental Association recommends brushing twice daily and flossing once a day. These habits are critical for removing harmful plaque and bacteria buildup from the surfaces of your teeth. However, even with proper oral care at home, it is still possible to develop issues such as cavities and gum disease. At Shenandoah Family Dentistry, we can help to further protect your oral health, as well as your overall health, with regular professional cleanings.
WHY DO I NEED MY TEETH PROFESSIONALLY CLEANED?
GETTING YOUR TEETH CLEANED
After we have scraped your teeth, we move on to polishing them. This is done with an electric handpiece and a special dental polish. The polish contains abrasives, which scrub the surfaces of your teeth as the head of the electric handpiece rotates. This eliminates surface stains and debris, leaving your teeth with a beautiful, clean shine.
Finally, the last step of your dental cleaning is flossing. We carefully floss between each of your teeth to eliminate any buildup that might be hiding out there. Flossing also helps to rid your mouth of any loose debris and polish that may have accumulated between your teeth during your cleaning.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PROFESSIONAL CLEANINGS?
There are numerous benefits of having your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year.
• We can clean all areas of your teeth, including the areas you may not be able to access at home.
• We can remove all buildup from your teeth, including the most stubborn plaque.
• Keeping your teeth clean helps to prevent serious oral health issues such as cavities and gum disease. It also helps to protect your overall health as well.
• You get a brighter smile. Removing surface stains whitens your teeth.
• Removing bacteria and other debris from your teeth leaves you with fresher breath.
• You save money. By preventing oral health issues from occurring in the first place, you prevent the need for potentially expensive dental treatments later.
With professional cleanings, we can help you to prevent the development of serious oral health issues. To schedule your next professional cleaning, call Shenandoah Family Dentistry today at 540-888-8902.