Brushing and flossing every day are essential components for maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile. The American Dental Association recommends brushing twice daily and flossing once a day. These habits are critical for removing harmful plaque and bacteria buildup from the surfaces of your teeth. However, even with proper oral care at home, it is still possible to develop issues such as cavities and gum disease. At Shenandoah Family Dentistry, we can help to further protect your oral health, as well as your overall health, with regular professional cleanings.
Professional cleanings are essential for many reasons. During your cleanings, we are able to access all of the areas of your teeth, including the ones that you might have a more difficult time cleaning at home. We are also equipped with the tools to eliminate even the most stubborn tartar, or calcified plaque that cannot be brushed away. This helps to prevent the development of tooth decay, cavities, and gum disease. With professional cleanings, we are also able to help you prevent a myriad of other issues that can be caused by gum disease and infections including respiratory issues, heart disease, diabetes, and more. Even though we are just cleaning your teeth, we are able to help you protect the health of your whole body.
Professional cleanings are a fairly straightforward procedure. We begin by scraping all surfaces of your teeth. Using a specialized tool, we scrape away plaque, tartar, bacteria, and other debris from all visible surfaces of your teeth, including between the teeth as well as along, and below, the gumline.
After we have scraped your teeth, we move on to polishing them. This is done with an electric handpiece and a special dental polish. The polish contains abrasives, which scrub the surfaces of your teeth as the head of the electric handpiece rotates. This eliminates surface stains and debris, leaving your teeth with a beautiful, clean shine.
Finally, the last step of your dental cleaning is flossing. We carefully floss between each of your teeth to eliminate any buildup that might be hiding out there. Flossing also helps to rid your mouth of any loose debris and polish that may have accumulated between your teeth during your cleaning.
There are numerous benefits of having your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year.
• We can clean all areas of your teeth, including the areas you may not be able to access at home.
• We can remove all buildup from your teeth, including the most stubborn plaque.
• Keeping your teeth clean helps to prevent serious oral health issues such as cavities and gum disease. It also helps to protect your overall health as well.
• You get a brighter smile. Removing surface stains whitens your teeth.
• Removing bacteria and other debris from your teeth leaves you with fresher breath.
• You save money. By preventing oral health issues from occurring in the first place, you prevent the need for potentially expensive dental treatments later.
With professional cleanings, we can help you to prevent the development of serious oral health issues. To schedule your next professional cleaning, call Shenandoah Family Dentistry today at (540) 667-8731.